Tuesday 24 July 2007

Notes from July 07 GDA

Dears
I think it is a good idea to share with you what I have selected from the notes I have taken at gda as main elements we should focus on.
Central idea for the piece:
Watching and being watched
From this the related themes of:
· Intimacy- at which level it can still exist if you have been watched and also the people substitution of their on intimacy with someone else s intimacy on a TV screen.
· Performance and it s limits
· When does the audience stop watching and decide to enter and take part? and why?
· The decision of the audience to enter the room and interact generates encounters.
· The negotiation between us as collaborators and a parallel negotiation with the audience.
The format
Two rooms: A performing room and A waiting room which I personally wouldn’t call waiting room anymore.
From this main aspect of the form the related thoughts of:
· Having a TV screen in the W. Room
· The W. Room is a more collective space, they can share a collective experience
· On the screen images of what is really happening in the P. Room but also fake ones.
· The P. Room is connected to the W. Room with life link.
· The P. Room is not a place for collective experience but it s a space for individual experience
· The P. Room is a place for interaction and intimacy.
· The audience can activate, through gaze, touch or action, what actually happens in the performance.
· In the P. Room there is a sort of transparency of the rules we use to interact.
I think is important to keep Martin s question in mind:
Are we mimicking a sinister surveillance culture or are we offering an antidote to it?
I personally think we are doing both.
In my notes I also found other question I think we should try to answer at different stages of this process:
What is this world?
What is it set up for?
Is it a world that has been invaded?
Is it a sensory fix world?
Ok. That’s all. I have tried to select as much as I could because we are full of notes and videos and it s very difficult to move inside this huge sea of information.
Love
Dona

No comments: